Chandragiri Hill, located near Kathmandu in Nepal, holds significant historical and cultural importance in Nepalese mythology and history. According to ancient legends, King Prithvi Narayan Shah, the founder of modern Nepal, envisioned and dreamed of uniting the Kathmandu Valley during Nepal’s unification campaign from Chandragiri Hill.
One of the main attractions of Chandragiri is the joyful cable car ride that takes approximately 20 minutes to reach the top. During this ride, visitors can enjoy the lush greenery of the forest and the refreshing mountain breeze. The cable car ride offers a unique and memorable experience to tourists. The mountain’s scenic beauty, lush green forests, and hilly terrain have made it a popular destination for tourists, hikers, and nature enthusiasts.
In addition to its natural beauty, Chandragiri Hill is renowned for its religious significance. At the hilltop, located at an altitude of 2551 meters above sea level, there is a temple called Bhaleshwor Mahadev. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, one of the principal deities in Hinduism, and holds immense religious importance for devotees and pilgrims, making it a sacred site for them. The temple offers a tranquil atmosphere, allowing visitors to experience a sense of peace and spirituality.
Chandragiri Hill is one of the routes travelers heading to Chitlang often pass through. Chitlang is another beautiful destination with green landscapes, panoramic views of hills, and a pleasant climate. The village offers a chance to explore the local culture and traditions of Nepal.
Overall, Chandragiri Hill and its surrounding areas provide a perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu. The combination of natural beauty, religious significance, and cultural experiences makes it a must-visit destination for travelers seeking a serene and enriching experience in Nepal.
- Cable Car Ride: Soar 2.4 km in 10-12 mins for panoramic views.
- Bhaleshwor Shiva Temple: Visit the sacred temple at 2500m altitude.
- Mountain Vista: Marvel at the Kathmandu Valley and majestic peaks.
- Sightseeing: Explore nature’s wonders on this full-day adventure
- Duration: Full Day Trip
- Distance: 14 km from Kathmandu (1-hour drive)
- Cable Car Operation: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily
How to reach Chandragiri Hill?
1. Public Transportation: A swift 1-hour drive from Kathmandu to Thankot, then 10-minutes walk will take you to the Chandragiri Hill Cable Car station. From there, enjoy a seamless 10-minute cable car ride to reach the hill’s summit swiftly.
2. Trekking Trails: For trekking enthusiasts, Chandragiri Hill offers scenic trails. Opt for a guided trekking experience, ensuring both safety and an immersive adventure leading to the hilltop.
3. Private Vehicle Option: For personalized and flexible travel, consider a private vehicle. This choice allows you to explore Chandragiri Hill and its surroundings at your own pace, providing a tailored and comfortable journey experience.
- Annapurna Region Trek
- Everest Region Trek